Aside from the fact that Ensure is a nutritional drink, it’s also very delicious. So, like other shakes and dietary supplements, it’s normal to wonder if milk can be added to the Ensure formula.
In this article, we will give you a proper answer and highlight some of the important things you need to know about combining this supplement with dairy products.
Can I drink ensure with milk?
Preparing Ensure with milk does not generate any kind of problems in the body, as long as the person is not lactose intolerant since it provides nutrients such as: calcium, carbohydrates (lactose), lipids, vitamin B12, selenium, magnesium, riboflavin, iodine, phosphorus, among others.
It is important to consider that Ensure can be accompanied with any food, in this case milk, as a product that can favor the process of assimilation of this food supplement in the body.
In addition, milk consumption helps strengthen bones and minimizes the risk of osteoporosis or any disease associated with the bone system of the body.
Likewise, Ensure is completely safe for consumption by people with various diseases due to its great benefits. It is normal to see people that have gastrointestinal problems or other conditions drinking Ensure or other conditions to regain strength and vitality.
Take a lok at some of the vitamins and minerals Ensure has:
Can I add water and milk to Ensure?
Without a doubt, you can add both water and milk in the preparation of Ensure, which is an ideal food supplement for optimal nutrition of the body. Generally, it is diluted in the water.
Benefits of taking Ensure with milk?
The main benefit is providing more nutrients to the diet since milk has components (vitamins, proteins and minerals) necessary for the health of the individual.
In the same way, we cannot ignore all those benefits that the Ensure supplement gives us whether you consume it with milk or water.
Let’s see some of the benefits:
1. Support eating after dental surgery
Oral surgeries and maxillofacial, especially the extraction of molars such as wisdom teeth, usually cause a slight loss of appetite. Having a diet based on liquid and soft foods are required in these cases.
That’s why food supplements are highly recommended as they contain proteins, vitamins and minerals, which is very important for a good and fast recovery.
2. Helps fight malnutrition
Many people when they reach old age suffer from malnutrition. Shakes add fluid to the diet to combat dehydration and provide protein and other nutrients to protect muscles and bones, which are the most vulnerable in older people.
3. Help people undergoing cancer treatment
Cancer patients often develop problems digesting food, weight loss and appetite due to chemotherapy and radiotherapy treatments. The medical community recommends nutritional shakes to support nutritional balance, essential for our body.
Be aware that some nutritional shakes are typically high in sugar, which some people believe causes cancer. but there is nothing to support this claim.
However, while some research supports the link between high sugar intake and elevated cancer risk, many cancer patients need food options that are high in calories and protein. That’s the main reason why nutrition drinks like Ensure can be helpful.
4. Support people with Parkinson’s disease
Involuntary movements (tremors) of a Parkinson’s patient burn many calories, resulting in unwanted weight loss.
These tremors can also cause problems chewing food. Therefore, liquids are a great alternative. And nutritional drinks like Ensure makes it possible for the body to receive calories and nutrients to make up the deficit.
5. Can be tolerated by people that have allergies
Some versions of Ensure already contain milk as well as corn and soy. This can be a problem for those people who are allergic to these ingredients. However, other versions are plant-based and are therefore free of dairy and soy.
Its source of protein is beans and peas and can be consumed without any problem by people allergic to dairy or soy.
6. Help lose weight
Ensure is not a magic drink that will help you lose weight immediately, but when used as a meal replacement, it can be a successful (not long-term) weight loss strategy, especially in people with obesity.
7. Nutritious snack
One of the best things about nutritional shakes like Ensure is that in addition to not being perishable, they are portable. You can take them with you in thermos anywhere, knowing that it is actually more than just a snack.
Due to the nutritional value, it is like a meal. Also, taking Ensure at night is an excellent option to nourish yourself before bed.
Food Supplements Advantages
They provide more nutrients to the diet since milk has components (vitamins, proteins and minerals) necessary for the health of the individual.
Side effects or contraindications
- Its consumption is not recommended if you are lactose intolerant.
- If you have any digestive discomfort, stop drinking it with milk and consult a nutritionist.
Warnings and tips
- To keep our body in perfect condition, it is important to include foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean meats and fish, since they contain the necessary nutrients for our body’s energy consumption. In this sense, for Ensure to be more effective, it is ideal to combine it with a balanced diet.
- It is not recommended for children unless it is prescribe by a nutritionist or physician.
- The product should not be used if the person suffers from galactosemia, which is a metabolic disorder caused by the lack of one of the enzymes necessary to metabolize milk sugar; this disease is hereditary.
- This food supplement can be recommended by your doctor specializing in nutrition or in the area of gastroenterology according to criteria related to your particular state of health, since it is he who is entitled to determine the benefits that these supplements can provide to your body without causing adverse effects and complications.
Additional advice for the consumption of Ensure Advance
- In case you’re taking Ensure Advance, it should be considered that it is contraindicated in those people who have a diet that does not have to supply deficiencies or energy needs, such as: loss of muscle, malnutrition or athletes of high competitive performance.
- Likewise, its consumption is not recommended in people who have high cholesterol, and in case of pregnancy and lactation, you should consult a nutritionist.
- There may be a risk of increasing the weight of the person if it is consumed disproportionately, which can cause the kidney to be overloaded due to excess protein, as well as the retention of vitamins and minerals that the body does not requires. So, it is necessary that you consult a professional in the healthcare area.
Frequently asked questions
The main difference between the Ensure Classic and Ensure Advance is that the latter contains an additional component called HMB (calcium hydroxymethylbutyrate), which is a metabolite of leucine, plus protein and vitamin D.
This one is presented in its natural form, promoting a better absorption of calcium since its priority objective is the reconstruction of muscles, increasing strength and protecting people from sarcopenia.
On the other hand, the regular Ensure is a product that provides nutritional value with proteins, prebiotics, fats, minerals and vitamins, generally used in the elderly, when there is a nutritional risk, caloric malnutrition or as a component for a balanced diet, which allows fortifying bone and muscle mass.
It is important to consider that Ensure does not contain lactose; which is ideal for people who are lactose intolerant. Also, this product is gluten-free.
Yes, Ensure and Ensure Advance (a variety of Ensure Classic) can be taken in combination with hot milk as long as you are not lactose intolerant.
An ideal way for its consumption has not been established, this will depend on the protein needs of each person requires, which must be indicated by a nutritionist.
Ensure is recommended for people of 40 years of age. However, a nutritionist may prescribe it to people who are not in that age range and have a particular condition.
You can definitely take Ensure with milk as it provides nutrients such as vitamins, proteins and minerals, which in turn helps the assimilation effects.
It is important to note that in case of any inconvenience concerning your health, you should consult a nutritionist.
But if you do not observe any unfavorable reaction, you can continue drinking it.
Remember the various benefits it offers:
- Supports recovery after dental surgery.
- It helps people to cope with the physiological consequences during cancer treatments.
- It is a liquid nutritional food, which is perfect for patients suffering from Parkinson’s.
- Improve your body in case of showing signs of malnutrition.
- It can be consumed by people allergic to dairy and soy.
- It is an excellent addition to your diet.
- It’s practically a nutritious meal.
So, whether I combine it with milk, water or both, Ensure is one of the most complete nutritional drinks on the market in all its available versions.
David is a writer and graduate professor. He writes for different websites. With 7+ years of experience in writing and education, David has combined his expertise in teaching with his passion for physical and mental wellness. He researches and writes to bring you valuable information about weight loss, nutrition, fitness, community, society and more.